Just as non-profit organizations receive special tax status and tax benefits, they also receive special treatment from the United States Postal Service (USPS). These special regulations can help not-for-profit companies save a considerable amount of money, but only if you follow their strict rules and guidelines. Non-profit bulk mail postage rates are significantly lower than the regular bulk mail postage rates.
Who is eligible for USPS non-profit prices?
Even though you may qualify as a non-profit according to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), you may not qualify under USPS standards. For example, some political organizations, business organizations, and recreational organizations do not qualify for non-profit mailing prices. The best way to find out if your organization qualifies is to apply for authorization.
How do we apply for USPS non-profit prices?
You cannot get non-profit mail prices without applying for authorization. Here’s what you need to complete the process:
- A completed authorization application.
- Copies of your organization’s formative papers.
- An IRS letter of exemption from federal taxes.
- Financial information from your organization.
- Your organization’s recent activities and brochures.
- Any other documentation that proves your non-profit status.
To keep your USPS non-profit status, you simply have to make a non-profit mailing once every two years.
What are the specifics of non-profit mail regulations?
Most of the rules for non-profit mailings are the same as the rules for standard mail mailings. However, there are two very important differences:
- Non-profit mailings must have NONPROFIT ORGANIZATION, NONPROFIT ORG, or NONPROFIT printed either in the imprint postage indicia, on the pre-canceled stamp, as part of the meter impression, or on the mail piece near the postage area.
- The name and address of the non-profit must be clearly shown either on the outside of the mail piece or as a prominent part of the mail’s content.
Get a Free Quote for Your Non-Profit Mailings Today
At Towne Mailer, we are proud to work with a number of non-profit organizations. As their mailer, we are dedicated to helping them print, process, and mail their statements, bulk mailings, and letters, all while saving them time and money. We understand non-profit mailing regulations well and will make certain your organization is taking full advantage of the benefits the USPS offers and, if necessary, help you with the paperwork in order to qualify.
To learn whether your non-profit may qualify for lower standard mail rates, or to get a free quote on a printing and mailing job from Towne Mailer, please contact us today at (406) 541-6345. We assist non-profits both locally and across the country.
In addition, we invite you to read about how we’ve helped one organization with their non-profit mail processing needs.